New Lucena, Iloilo is Home

Timely post I may say. On our 6th day and we are back home in Iloilo. Yes I call Iloilo my home, Iloilo City a refuge who adopted me for four years. My heart bleeds to read posts in social media about this place I call my second home.
Palatial homes in Iloilo City and the province of Iloilo is nothing but normal. Even in my mother's hometown in New Lucena, I was surprised to see palatial houses around. Having big houses is something we Ilonggos tried to work hard for years to build. Most families have children working as seafarers and as a sign of gratitude to their parents who work hard to send them to school, build big houses/mansions as grand and palatial as they can afford. This is something I was saddened to read about, that those who have houses as palatial as that of Mayor Jed Mabilog be connected or a protector of drugs.
In the early 2000's drugs existed even before Mayor Jed Mabilog. We used to have overnight study group in Dunkin Donut in J.M. Basa or Calle Real the old downtown of Iloilo City, and we know of places not to go to because of fear drug addicts. I find it unfair to connect someone with drugs that easy and even drag the whole family into it. 
Sorry for this, but I find it proper to atleast say my thoughts on this matter. On to our New Lucena visit. Our first stop that day is Pampang in Damires, New Lucena, where Tito Biloy and his family lives. Tito Biloy and Tita Fe is one of the many second parents we got back in college. Tita Fe back then would send us half a sack of rice in our apartment that would last for months. Pampang becomes our long weekend getaway, where we get to enjoy an overload of Indian mangoes and sereguelas. And yes, we get to enjoy it this time, we even harvest sereguelas planted along Tito Biloy's fishpond. We had lunch at Tito Biloy's, until Tita Fe received a call, inviting us to attend a fiesta in Bololacao, New Lucena.







Yes, we are indeed home, when someone invites you in their home because you are someone they knew years ago. Off we went to Bololacao for more food, Ilonggos are known for their hospitality, that the moment we entered the house, food are laid before you. And I just can't say no to Ilonggo food like; Valenciana, Kansi and KBL (Kadyos, Baboy & Langka).

After getting full in Bololacao, we went to Tita Becka's home in Bilidan, New Lucena. Bilidan is my mother's parents home. We stayed in Bilidan for a night, though it was an unexpected visit, we were again treated to great food. Tito Rio, went to catch native chicken and prepared dinner for us. I was a food filled travel for us. What I love about Bilidan is the simplicity of life. Back then every vacation, I love taking a bath in the "bomba" with concrete tub at the bottom that we filled water and make it a mini pool. And the good old calachuchi tree still stands infront of Lolo Feliz house that I used to climb to eat Indian mango.
Sisters, Mama Dora & Tita Becka







Before we leave New Lucena, we visited Lolo Feliz & Lola Coro


A visit in New Lucena made me grateful for the blessing of family. A family that made Iloilo my second home.
Travel Date: May 20-21, 2017
Travel Buddy: Family



Comments